NSU's Alvin Sherman Library offers the following equipment for users requiring access to assistive technology:
1. PC Computer * - 27 inch monitor with the following software:
- Jaws for Windows version 14 *
- JAWS (Jobs Access with Speech) is a screen reading software that reads aloud what's on the PC screen and provides tools for navigating and accessing most popular software applications including Windows and the Internet (multilingual)
- Kurzweil 3000 *
- Kurzweil 3000 is a text to speech tool
- Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium Edition *
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 Premium allows the user to interact with a PC by voice. Dictate or modify documents, spreadsheets and presentations, send email, search the Web, and more.
- Dragon Headset with microphone* (request at Reference Desk)
- MAGic Screen Magnification Software with Speech*
- Provides high-definition text with letters for all fonts, even at the highest magnification. MAGic features 46 magnification levels from 1x to 36x. MAGic with Speech features built-in human-sounding voices that can be controled independently for speaking text, mouse echo, and typing echo.
- download audio books to your device - users must have either an NSU SharkCard or the Alvin Sherman Library public card!
- download Broward County Libraries e-books and audio books to your device - user must have a BCL card!
2. Flatbed scanner* - for use with Kurzweil 3000
- Scan books and documents to listen to.
3. Humanware Smart View Synergy Pl Video magnifier machine*:
- Read books or documents.
- Progressive Image improves view of text in movement.
- Optimized to display a brighter and smoother high-quality image for all types of materials
- Magnification: 3.7x – 75x
- 23" LCD screen
4. TTY Phone
- AT&T Advanced TTY 8840 phone available to make or receive calls.
5. Two TV monitors with built in (VCR Plus/VHS) video player
6. DVD Player
- compatible with CD, DVD, MP3, CD-R, and CD-RW
7. 46" LCD monitor
- 1920x1080 resolution
- supported input (D-sub, S-Video, Composite, RGBHV for PC, Component, DVI)
*Donated by the Alvin Sherman Library Circle of Friends