1. Choose a topic you find interesting (whenever possible).
2. Search for background information before you commit to a topic. Make sure enough information is available to write a good paper.
3. Look for sub-topics within your topic. Some original topics will be far too big to cover in one paper.
4. Expect to adjust and/or refocus your research question once you start researching. Be flexible and expect change. Its the nature of research!
5. Once you have your question, ask these questions: - Is the question easily and fully researchable? - What type of information do you need to answer it? - Where can you get that information?
Adapted from: Loyola University's Library Guide "The Research Question College Writing Seminar".